My dearest friend Anna from Plyhome has been nagging me for years about writing a blog post about helping parents like her deal with their kids hair!
Some of the questions she has asked over the years is how do I deal with knots! Especially ones who hates getting their hair brushed.
I would start when washing your kids hair
- Use good shampoo and conditioner - believe me it will be worth it. No amount of supermarket brands will add benefit to their hair. L'Oreal does great large sized family bottles for only $41.50 each - at 750ml they should last your family for ages!
- Shampoo cleanses the scalp and Conditioner detangles and moisturises the ends. No need to shampoo the ends as when you rinse the shampoo out it will pick up and dirt as it rinses and never condition your roots. Your scalp will produce enough oil to keep the first few inches in good condition, and that part of the hair shaft shouldn't be damaged.
- Next, when the conditioner is in the hair COMB IT! Or even easier is use the Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash. This will distribute the conditioner through the hair. Sounds so obvious, but this step is the game changer. Running your fingers through isn't enough. The Tangle Teezer will mean more of the hair is coated. Try and leave it for a few minutes.
- Make sure the hair is rinsed well.
- If you are going to dry the hair with your hairdryer use heat protection. You don't want to make those knotty ends worse. We love Davines All In One Milk.
So you have done all that but what about the days you don't wash their hair.
- A good detangler is your new best friend. Try Original Minerals Know Knott or All In One Milk by Davines. Now don't rush this step, its not a case of spraying then brushing. I would let it work on the hair for a few minutes before you tackle those knots.
- Make your life easy by investing in a Tangle Teezer. The Elite Tangle Teezer is the original brush. Great for you to have a go at the hair. But you might find if your child wants to brush their own hair then their little fingers might be better suited to the Compact Tangle Teezer. And even better is you can choose between some awesome colours and patterns.
- Another good hint is to plait the hair before bed. Harder to get dreads when the hair is tucked away.
- Also try using one of the Silke Hair Turbans, no friction means no knots! The Turban wraps the hair to eliminate the nightly friction that causes breakages, frizz and split ends. These are suited for adult heads so maybe good to try on your teenage daughters not your little ones. If you love the idea of sleeping on Silk then there are silk pillow cases available.
- Put your Know Knott or All in one Milk spray in before the go swimming under their caps. Gives protection from the pool water, then all you have to do is rinse.
- Trim the ends regularly.
- Buy Invisibobbles!! These hair ties that look like phone cords are so gentle on the hair. They still give good grip but they don't pull and give headaches. They come in three sizes so all hair thicknesses are covered.
And don't sweat the small stuff. Some kids just have knots - they turn into adults and they still have knots.
Good luck and I hope the tips help!